Thursday, March 30, 2006

Daniel's Early Arrival

Today, I had my NST as usual. When I got home I was doing alright, but then around noon (about 45 minutes of being home) I started having pain in my back and stomach. I thought no, these cannot be contractions, but I knew better. After timing them for ahwile, I discovered there we coming every 3-5 minutes. So I called Dave to have him on alert. I told him I might be in labor, but wanted to try to take a shower to see if that helped. Well, the shower did not help and the contractions were getting more painful. I put a call into my doctor's office and called Dave and told him that he needed to get home now. The nurse called me back from the doctor's office and told me to come in to the office now. I waited for Dave to come home. While waiting for Dave I called my mother to let her know what was going on.

Once Dave got home, the contractions were really painful, I mean they have be doubled over in pain doing the breathing that you are suppose to. God they hurt. Of couse Dave had to go to the bathroom. I was like can you hurry this up. I am in pain here. So finally we grab the obernight bad and head to the doctor's office. Thank god it is only 2 minutes away.

Dave dropped me off at the door and I walked up to the doctor's office having contractions. They took me into the back as soon as they got there. Dr. Vincent got ready to remove my cerclege. It was suppose to be removed on Monday, but Daniel had other plans. Dr. Vincent said the cerclege was holding on my a thread. He removed it. It was not painful at all. I dialted to 2 centimeters. He took a quick listen for the heartbeat. It was there and very strong. He sent me to the hospital.

The trip to the hospital took way to long for my liking, as we did end up hitting some traffic. I was just happy that it was not rush hour, because if it was I would not of been able to have the epidural. As soon as I walked into the hospital I had to sit down as the contraction I was having was way too painful. Of couse I had to check in, which went quickly, but it felt like forever for me due to the contractions. I then had to wait for the nurse to get me. They had me undress and then get on the bed. I waited for what seemed like forever. Finally someone came in and took my history and then hooked me up to the machines to hear his heartbeat and monitor my contractions. She also did my vitals. Well, I was definitely having contractions. The NP came in and checked me and said I am definitely a keeper, as I had dialted to 5 cm's. She did a quick u/s and his head was right there.

They were getting me ready to transfer me to the labor and delivery room. The nurse asked if I needed anything and I was like something for the pain. She was like you need a bag of IV solution before you can get an epidural. I was like oh boy how long will that take. Finally I get in the room and get my IV. I think I keep looking at that IV thinking can you go a little faster as the contraction pain was to that unbearable point. They were coming every 2 minutes. Dave would be watching them on the monitor going another one is coming. I was like no way is that why I am moving all over the place trying to get comfortable. Finally, the nurse goes I have paged the anesthia guy. I was like thank god. I was so happy to see him come in the room. Getting the epidural really did not hurt, it was the contractions I was having while it was being put in.

Let me tell you the relief I felt with the epidural. I mean I could still feel the contractions but they were no where near as painful. They said my epidural was perfect because I could still feel things and still move my legs well.

The waiting game started. I soon was 8 cm's then just a rim left then finally 10 cm's. I have to go back a little bit because at 8 cm's my bag of water had not broken yet, so the doctor had to break it. The little stinker did not want to get rid of his bag of water. When she did she said meconium. Daniel decided he needed to go to the bathroom. Well, there had to be something to be a slight problem. They said it was probably that he was under stress when I was having the really painful contractions.

It was time to push. So I started to push, then they said O.K. you need to stop as peds was not there yet. I was like great. They needed peds due to the meconium. It was funny that Dave said he never wanted to be at the business end, but there he was watching. Finally I could push again. After three contractions he was out, born at 7:16 p.m. Hearing him cry was the greatest thing, as I never thought I would hear a baby cry due to my two stillbirths. I was just staring at him in amazement. They called him the little peanut as he only weighed 5lbs 11.6 ozs. Due to him having the meconium though dh could not cut the umbilical cord and I did not get to hold him. He was having a few retractions and was a little pale, but he pinked up a litte after a few minutes. I got to give him a kiss on his forhead before the took him to the NICU. Where he would be for observation for four hours and then put in the regular nursery. In the meantime they stitched me up due to me tearing and got me settled into the recovery room.

I had gotten a fever. They said it was probably from being dehydrated. Finally, in the middle of the night my fever broke. I had totally drenched the sheets and blanket on the bed, so they had to be changed. Let me tell you how much better I felt after my fever broke. I mean I still had the pain down in my privates, but being hot then cold was over. We called the NICU to see if Daniel was alright and to see if he was going to get transfered to the regular nusery. It killed me that I could not see him, but with my fever and him needed to be observed for a few hours it was impossible. We finally got to see Daniel on March 31st. It was the greatest thing in the world to hold him and go, wow he really is here, healthy and doing great. Boy he looks like his daddy.

1 comment:

the_gurl_at_410 said...

im so glad the cerclege worked for you...i had bulging membranes at 22 weeks and before they could put a cerclege in I started having contractions and well...I delieved at 22.5 weeks...on May 9th 2007..Bryce Xander a son to a teenage mother who wanted him more than anything...his funeral was the following friday...but im so happy it worked for you...I know now in the future I will need one sooner!!